Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Vintage CQ...Waste Canvas Grids

I blame it all on the great Barbara Meger, a national smocking teacher whom I was honored to teach crazy piecing to last year. I had suggested she incorporate smocking into a crazy quilt block and just look at what she did...

Besides her extraordinary smocking and stitching, what really grabbed me about this block is that grid in the lower right. I just love it!

So on a much humbler level I decided to put some grids in some of the patches of my border blocks. Using waste canvas seemed like the best way to get them accurate.

Just count and stitch. Easy peasy.

This is how it looks with the waste canvas grid removed. (Bev, this is the offending yellow patch, by the way.)
And here is how I like to do that....

I cut away the excess, then cut again to make the strings shorter and therefore easier to pull out. And on this one, I added the second color of thread after removing the grid, figuring I could eyeball that o.k. Again, this lesser amount of stitching makes the grid easier to remove....

...and you get this.

Then I thought, why not just use the grid as a marking tool and dispense stitching through it altogether?

Comme ci...

Comme ca....

....Et voila!

And again, using a larger grid this time....

The chalk pencil is good for the larger grid and dark fabric.

This one uses a third color and I like it, so I will probably go back and add that to the other grids...

...like this one.
(Isn't that Oya needlelace trim great? As well as the pinkish/violet one in the fifth picture from the top? You can buy your own here from Rengin in Istanbul...)

But then I got cocky and tried doing the whole grid stitching process without a marking anything at all.

It was a small patch and I thought I could get away with it. Looks pretty wonky, though, especially with that perfectly woven grid nearby. I'm glad I didn't use highly contrasting colors.

I love these grids and will add more to my blocks, but first I'm taking a small break to work on a present that I can't blog about. I'll be back in a week or so....bye for now!

13 comments :

Silver Sisters said...

Gorgeous!
Thank you for the tip of marking through the waste canvas. I'll definitely be trying that.

Balwearie said...

I'm loving the grids! I've got a bit of smocking from an old dress my mother made me when I was knee high to a grass hopper -- I should try to incorporate it into some crazy quilting! And using the canvas to mark a grid is brilliant! I might try that with some smocking.

FredaB said...

Hi Allie

I remember Barbara Meger and Nellie Durand from my smocking/heirloom sewing days. They are both gifted ladies. I love the colors of green she used in this. Is it the lining of a basket lid?

I like the idea of using the waste canvas for marking. Great idea. If you ever want something actually to smock I have both a 16 and a 24 row pleater - one in Florida and 1 in Chicago. Send me the fabric and I can pleat it up for you.

Hugs

FredaB

Suzanne said...

Thank you for sharing this idea. I wanted to do some needlework on a quilt (field of flowers) and wasn't sure free handing it was going to work.

Gerry Krueger said...

I LOVE that technique and will be trying it sooooooooon.... Hugs Gerry K.

Rengin Yazitas said...

Dear Allie,
I know this technique to use canvas. Your outcome is stunning, you're amazing talented Lady to apply all techniques.
I spent long time to see all those wonderful details of this real eye-candy.
By the way, I loved your way to use my beaded oya laces:)) How nice they have wonderful places to be seen....
Much love....

Susan Elliott said...

Bravo Allie! Barbara will be thrilled! I'm off to send her the link now...

Maureen said...

I've got to search my basement again. I just know there's some waste canvas down there! Thanks for the lesson! Your squares look fabulous!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

What a fabulous idea! I'll apply this to needlepoint surface embellishing. I'm already using waste canvas to raise small design elements above the surface of the background needlepoint - but this grid is another dimension altogether. Again, I have learned and been inspired here.

Lisa Boni said...

Love the added texture that the smocking adds to Barbara's block! Great suggestion to incorporate it! Love how you added the grid stitching to your own work as well! Lovely!

Summerset said...

Smart. I love the integration of the two needlework techniques.

Valerie L said...

Allie,

Thanks so much for sharing the grid patterns. It looks really great on the crazy quilt

Shogun said...

Love the grids!