Friday, March 12, 2010

"New from Old"...A Warm-Up Study

While I am still waiting for the wonderful image to arrive that will be the central focus of my "New from Old" contest entry to benefit The Alliance for American Quilts, I decided to do a small study incorporating some of the elements I will be using.

Vintage quilt blocks are showing up in my work these days, as in the portraits I've done recently of my nieces Elle and Amaleah.

This is Amaleah....it was my Point Bonita project. This measures 17 1/2" X 17 1/2".

For my "New from Old" quilt I have some lovely 1930's Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks that I want to incorporate, so I spent the last few days playing with them.
Plus, as always happens, I got totally distracted by the new flowers opening up in the yard, even in the midst of all this cold rain! I had to add them, too.

So I laid out some blocks and flowers together on a gold silk dupioni background and took their picture.

The idea was to print this image on fabric and then embellish it.

And this is what I did. I love using the EQ Printables prepared fabric sheets. They give the sharpest print!

However, even after I had already started embellishing this, I decided I didn't like the way the gold background looked.

So off it came. I had already interfaced my print here with fusible knit interfacing to keep everything nice and stable.
I decided on a rich purple/blue background instead.

I put the purple silk on a muslin foundation with my ink jet print appliqued by machine over it. Notice I am using a very fine needle here, the size 60 Microtex Sharp. This is to leave as small a hole in the printed EQ fabric as possible, because holes unfortunately are permanent. Using clear monofilament thread in a narrow zigzag with this fine needle worked very nicely.

Then just for the fun of it I added a little trapunto to the back of the pieced star that is printed in the center of the design.

This is about 8 1/2" X 8 1/2".
I'm just getting in gear with the embellishments here. Those little four-petaled orange flowers with the beads in their centers are from cut-out painted Tyvek. Easier than Angelina!

Because this little project is for a friend of mine, I put her initial in the center.


All in all, this was a fun little exersize, familiarizing myself with the elements I'll be working with in the 16" X 16" New from Old quilt. I'll be using the actual Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks in that one, though.
I can't wait until my cousin Tracy's watercolor sketch arrives for the central image and I can get started!

20 comments :

Willa said...

This is really beautiful Allie. Love the embroidery and the "new=old" concept!

Vicki W said...

I always enjoy seeing your steps and the roads that your mind takes while creating one of your spectacular pieces!

Conni said...

What a magical little quilt! I love the whipped ribbon around the outside edge!

Gerry Krueger said...

Okay Allie....I'm going right along with you!! I just put my rough study up (did mine in photoshop) Are you sure this is legal putting it all out there as we do it??? What fun!!!

Gerry K.
http://olderrose.blogspot.com

Granny Fran said...

What a You way of using vintage Flower Garden blocks! This excites me because I still have a lot of those to do something with. Thanks for the comment on the EQ printable fabric sheets being sharper, I'll have to get some.

Pamela Kellogg said...

Oh Allie, everything you do is fabulous! You really have a way with flowers!

The funny thing is, I was thinking about the little vintage pieces that you sent to me awhile back just the other day. I may be pulling them out soon and seeing what I can come up with!

Hugs!

Unknown said...

So very pretty! The blue definitely brings out the center better than the gold. I like the way you warm up.

Nellie's Needles said...

Lovely ... a visual feast! Of course, everything you do has that magical "Allie touch".

meg said...

As usual, you stagger me with the beauty and power of your work. I love this concept and really love the way you share your process. I don't do anything this complex, but I too am totally in love with EQ Printables. I teach a lot of photo quilt classes and don't recommend anything else.

Susan Elliott said...

There's just something rich about the golds that are in your antique garden blocks...the mixture that you put together is particularly lovely. Those golds and oranges are a great backdrop for the lavenders and greens and pinks...I just think the palette is divine.

Very curious as to the watercolor..that makes it so much more special. And Allie's magic fingers will take care of the rest!

Rengin Yazitas said...

orgeous, loved to see all those wonderful details..."New=old" concept is a fantastic idea...

Barbara C said...

The purple background really makes the flowers pop. This piece is lovely, and I really like your ribbon binding.

Gerry Krueger said...

When I checked out the eq printable I noticed they came in a cotton finish or a satin finish... Do you have a preference?

Gerry K.
Spokane, WA

allie aller said...

Gerry, I prefer the cotton lawn to the satin finish as it is easier to stitch through..
..and thanks everyone for your very kind comments!

Unknown said...

Love it!

Cathy said...

How breathtaking! I love your experimentations and original ideas. I've got some old quilt squares I'd love to play with..... but no flowers yet! Thanks for all your inspiration! Hugs, Cathy

FredaB said...

Allie that purple was such a great choice. It just makes the whole thing pop and come alive. It is just beautiful.

Hugs

FredaB

gypsylady said...

Hi Allie,

As usual your work is stunning...I have some of my maternal grandmother's quilt tops that she didn't finish....as soon as I can get the pixs online, I will email u copies...I think u would enjoy seeing them...one is what I call a postage stamp and is huge but unfinished...these were done in either the late 1800's or very early 1900's...I love the older quilt patterns..it was very interesting to see the fabrics she used, mostly feed sacks...Marilynne Q

allie aller said...

Thanks, Marilyn!
I would very much love to see these pictures!

Jane said...

Love how you're mixing the old blocks with new ideas... so fab, fun and interesting to the eye