Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Garden Tour 6.09.09

Your comments about how I shouldn't do housework made me laugh!

Tending to the gardens is another story, of course. Over the last week my garden has added new color every day. It is so exciting....

I have two of those pink flowering trees, and each June they give me a week of a gazillion flowers. I wish you could hear how loud the bees are in these trees.

We're still just at the beginning of the summer's show...

It is so good to see all these old friends again...

Robert's garden is coming along apace....

The tomato plantation is positively thriving.
Planted above it are a bed of onions and one of spinach and carrots; down the center of the garden, top to bottom are the first bed of broccoli, another bed of onions, then the two kinds of peppers, then a whole bed of basil, (YUM!) then a bed of Japanese eggplant. Below them will go the dreaded winter squash (Robert loves to grow it but we are tentative about eating it)...you can't see the beds of corn below where the squash will be.

He also has planted pole beans, peas, potatoes, more broccoli, summer squash (again, ick)....The melons still have to go in, as well as the soybeans--this year's experiemental crop.
Good, good eatin' is coming at us this summer...and lots of harvest kitchen duty come September.

My flowers are again inspiring my next big project, which will not wait for me to play anymore. It's been churning long enough (a few years, actually)...I'll introduce it next time.

9 comments :

Shogun said...

Ooooh another garden posting - I just love it. I just spent the last two days adding another (flower) garden into my yard. Our veggies are growing slowly because it has been so cool here. I am trying to grow japanese eggplant for the first time this year and I grow the yellow summer squash but only my husband eats it. I keep looking at color combinations with the foliage and fruits and flowers so maybe I can make a quilt out of something I see. Thanks for sharing the garden photos.

Kay said...

Looking forward to the next project!

Summerset said...

Looks wonderful - both flowers and vegetables. Ever tried roasted winter squash? It's really good, my children like it, too. This works with acorn or butternut or whatever of that variety. Peel it, cut it into 1/2" slices, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper Bake in a 400 degree oven on baking sheets with a little extra oil until browned and spotty, flipping squash over once the first side is light brown, about 20 minutes or so. I can't tell you the exact time, as I never time it, I just keep checking it while doing other things.

The summer squash I cannot help you with, sorry!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Your photos are beautiful! I can't look at them without seeing them in CQ form. We do all kinds of great things down here with the yellow squash involving cheese, cracker crumbs, onions, etc. Otherwise, nobody would eat it. My grandmother used to make "stuffed squash" with the summer squash - if you mean that funny looking kind of flat one with the fluted edges. It was delicious.

Susan Elliott said...

OK, I'm cracking myself up...I don't care for summer squash too much when it gets stacked up against the other veggies BUT I do love it simmered in chicken stock with onion -- it cooks down to a wonderfully buttery consistency and is VERY VERY yummy...

And that, my dear, from your non-cooking, hates to be in the kitchen, friend...

Allison said...

Your veggie garden is spectacular! I wish i had so much space......

Sandra said...

Beautiful gardens, and so BIG. Glad I don't have to weed them.

Judy S. said...

Hello from Chicago! Your garden looks great....wish we could grow tomatoes, too.

Cat said...

I sure see a lot of work with that vegetable garden! Looks great though! And your flowers are fab!