Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Aunt Sally's Quilt

A full circle story....

My beautiful Aunt Sally and cousin Tracy were the two who got me started quilting back in 1976. My mom was in the hospital in Baltimore, and we kids were staying with my aunt and uncle in D.C. At the time my aunt was making blocks for a Bicentennial quilt...and I wanted to do some quilting too. It proved to be the true beginning of my passion for quilting. (My first stash came directly from Tracy's fabric cupboard, an act of generosity on T's part that I will never forget.)

Sally has led a very rich life, full of art, travel, service, friends, family...she had a stroke over a decade ago which changed her life, but it certainly didn't change who she is.
And she still loves quilting enough to make another one, despite the obstacles.

She foundation pieced the squares, using the flip and sew method I had showed her and Tracy during a visit. As she put the blocks together it took two days of rearranging the sequence and my uncle thought he needed to help. (!) She assembled the blocks and then Tracy finished it with a border and binding. The quilt is about four by six. Sally did all of this one handed, guiding the machine with her left hand.

She looks so proud! As well she should. It's gorgeous.
Here's a closer look...do click on it!

These fabrics--Tracy never did update her stash from the 1970's, as she moved into basketmaking, leaving quilting behind--are a time capsule for me. They are my oldest friends, my first loves. I know many of them intimately! It is with wonder and happiness that I see them again, fresh off the needles of my aunt and cousin.

No matter who, how, or when...quilting rocks!
.....and....
Happy Birthday Uncle Bill!

21 comments :

Susan Elliott said...

Bravo Sally and Tracey!! What a lesson for us all to never never never give up. The quilt is lovely but the story makes it an absolute treasure. Thanks for sharing the story -- it's great when passion comes full circle and we recognize it!

Vicki W said...

It sure does! What a great tribute and thanks for sharing it with us.

Raspberry said...

That's an amazing story. My mother-in-law has the same problem. I'm hoping to get her to paint again, as she always was so god at it.
What a beautiful quilt!
:)

Tracy said...

Allie - Thanks for the amazing tribute to my mom and your aunt. I left out one important part of the story. My sister, Carrie also helped with the quilt and deserves a fair share of the credit.
Love,
T

Summerset said...

What a great quilt! It is nice to know the story behind it.

Unknown said...

Allie,
Thanks so much for the tribute to Mom and her quilt. I read it to her this morning at the breakfast table and she was clearly very touched. My Dad took a look too and appreciated the birthday greetings.
Your website is wonderful. You're an inspiration.
Love,
Carrie

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

It is so kewl to see your aunt continue to indulge her passion despite her health issues. This is very inspiring to me and thank you for sharing!

Debra Dixon said...

It just goes to show that once you put a needle in a person's hand, she is changed forever! Lovely story!! Kudos to all involved.

Marty52 said...

What a cool story, Allie. I love the quilt, too. It's very rich with all those lovely 70's fabrics! I have some 70's fabric somewhere!

Anonymous said...

Please tell your aunt what a great quilt this is. I know some of those fabrics are still lurking in my sewing room.
Marci

Sparklyjools said...

What a beautiful story, and what a talented family!

Jules x

bluemuf said...

What a great uplifting story. I love the quilt.

Karen

Melissa ;-) said...

Amazing! Brings a tear to my eye! And inspires me to stop whining and get to finishing!

Barbara C said...

What a beautiful quilt and successful family collaboration. Your aunt is an inspiration, doing the thing that gives her joy in spite of setbacks.

Patricia said...

Beautiful quilt and like everyone else, love the story of your aunt. She is an inspiration.
Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

Such a sweet story -- and such a terrific contemporary quilt! I enjoyed it so much I sent the link to my friend B, who's a new quilter. The legacy grows...

Anonymous said...

Wow what a wonderful story and one very cool quilt!

JoWynn Johns said...

Omigod, Allie, I have some of those fabrics! How amazing to see them on your aunt's quilt. And how amazing that she was able to produce the quilt. Great story. Another of your lovely family connections tales.

Nellie's Needles said...

Bravo to Sally, Tracy, and Carrie! There's quite a complexity to the pattern and piecing of that quilt. I knew your Aunt Sally when she was much, much younger than I am now ... before and just after Carrie was born. It's heartening to see the strength of her spirit reflected in this wonderful quilt.

lindacreates said...

What a beautiful quilt, and even more importantly, a beautiful story!

Anonymous said...

That is surely beautiful, also Love the dark shelves in the pic and that is a wonderful story!
Saved the pic so I can show my hair lady how I want my hair to be! Hope that's ok.
Juli in MN