Saturday, May 17, 2008

Spring Quilt Market

My friend Tracey Brookshier is having her first booth at Quilt Market, and things are going well! The two friends she brought to help--all three of them are staying with me--are delightful and we have been having a swell time together. I think Tracey has appreciated having a very supportive posse, too.

Tracey and Holly Casey have just begun booth set-up here on Thursday. That is Tracey's famous "Bento Box" pattern directly behind them, along with a new Scotty pattern, the Interweave pattern, and you can just see the LavaLamps quilt on the right.

Less than 24 hours later they are hard at it selling patterns, taking orders, giving out promotional info, answering questions....and doing plenty of schmoozing.

As we were there to work the booth, I haven't been out prowling the aisles like the last time I went to Market....but the river brought nice and interesting people to our little shore there at booth #2304.

Here is Kathy Mack, of PinkbyPost.com and also PinkChalkStudio.
She is holding her "Mail Sack" bag and also her "Note Taker" notebook, which she has developed patterns for and is marketing this week-end. I really like the Note Taker, and wanted to link to the pattern because I'll bet some of you will like it too....so look here. As an independent pattern designer she is at the beginnings of what I know will be a very successful professional career. She and Tracey were comparing notes on the process of getting that ball rolling...


Here is the front of the Note Taker....

And here is the inside. Very slick. Best of luck to Kathy!!!

I was able to just wander our little quadrant of the show and came across two people I've admired for a long time, so I stopped to say hello.

Paul Kreinik, a sharp businessman and funny guy. His company in West Virginia employs 20 people, and they bring us the wonderful Kreinik threads that we CQers (and others) love so much.
He was mostly pushing their new metallic thread designed for longarm machines. Says it does NOT break......Yes, the trend of the year is long arm quilting, no doubt about that....

And here is Penny McMorris, author of the highly collectible Crazy Quilts, long out of print. (The link takes you to Amazon where they have several used copied available!)
I just had to introduce myself, shake her hand, and thank her for her wonderful book...she is a gracious, lovely lady. She was there with her current company, the Electric Quilt, maker of the famous quilt software program.
I asked her to wave to all the crazy quilters out here in Blogland, so here is Penny greeting you and saying hi!

I'll be back at the show tomorrow, working Tracey's booth and helping to tear it down at the end of the afternoon. I hope I'll get to do a little more scouting of the show while I'm there.

There was absolutely no evidence of crazy quilting in any of the booths I saw. This is causing me to growl a bit, I confess. Maybe I'll find some of our select, kindred spirits there tomorrow...

8 comments :

Kay said...

This does sound like so much fun. When I sold stuff and art/craft fairs, I loved talking to the customers and the other dealers. Setting up and tearing down is hard work though; good to have a team! It also sounds like there's a lot of new stuff out there. Enjoy, and I hope you find other "crazies."

Susan Elliott said...

I loved seeing Penny McMorris! I imagined her to be old but heck she looks our age! I bought the NoteTaker pattern and can't wait to crazy quilt the cover! It's a great pattern and has been tested many times over. Have fun tomorrow!

Plus, when you get a moment, I'm resurrecting the 100 details over on the Stitchin Fingers forum. You in? It might help you work through your next quilt. Sharon says she may post another 100 details -- she's so excited.

Barbara C said...

What fun! I hope you're having a great time.

That lava lamp pattern is way cool!

Cathy said...

Great post, Allie! What a good friend you are to help out with your friends' exhibit. Coincidentally, I just read today in Quilter's Home magazine that Penny McMorris was affiliated with EQ. As a CQ'er, I knew about (and have) her classic CQ book. I was disappointed that the magazine didn't mention that - they only talked about EQ. I tell ya, it's tough for even CQ'ers like Penny to get respect! Hugs ~~ Cat

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Thanks for the link to "Crazy Quilts" - I lost my copy 14 years ago in the move back to Austin. However, while trying to find and replace it, I also found crazy quilts by Judith Montano - and silk ribbon embroidery! Have fun, and thanks for sharing. What?? No CQ???

Rian said...

Many smiling faces! Looks like everyone is happy and having fun--we like that.

I love that Note Taker thing.

Susan said...

It sounds like you have had some fun, and done a lot of work! Any Quilt Market, anywhere, is a lot of both, if you are working them. Thanks for the inside peek from your perspective.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Allie, What great new ideas who have sent our way. Thanks. It sounds like you are having heaps of fun and meeting old friends too. I look forward to seeing if you find anything new in the CQ arena... Judy