Tuesday, August 28, 2007

In Praise of Sequins....I Think

My stash of sequins has been slowly building over the last few years, but I've just never hauled them all out and used them before. The Autumn Totebag with all its tweedy textures and rich colors seemed like a perfect foil for them.

So I've been sewing them on there, mostly matching the colors of the sequins to their backgrounds, at least so far. I don't exactly know where this is headed or if it is a mistake or not...but it is fun to play with them.

Pretty subtle here....

These stand out more. I wanted the hint of sequins, not obvious sequins.

I am so holding back with them!

Mmmmmm.....blue ones......

We're not approaching Bob Mackie territory here, are we?

The jury is out and has much deliberation to do as to whether this was a good idea or not...but meanwhile, I'll keep sewing on sequins. I sure wish I had more colors. This is an excellent excuse to go buy some more!

9 comments :

belvedere beads said...

nothing suceeds like excess. i adore the sequins.

Melisa Bakos said...

I love what you are doing. The Mackie site has discusting model dolls that are anorexic looking I was shocked as if Barbie wasnt a hard image for little girls to meet up to before....

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I agree with belvedere!! Love that for a quote!! The sequins are wonderful - make the seams sparkle. don't be timid with them. heeheehee I like the green ones too. An unexpected element in all that tweed.

Karen 's World said...

Allie I too like the sequins look. I use to think sequins were 'tacky' but I've been rethinking that theory lately as I see more and more people using them. I'm beginning to buy more myself and use them! I really like the blue ones that you used.

Rian said...

I think the sequins are great! It puts a whole different spin on the tote, though, but that's evolution for ya.

Amy Munson said...

Love the sparkle of the sequins.

Marty52 said...

Oh, yes... love the sequins! They draw your eye along the seamline nicely... yummers!

atet said...

Not even close to Bob Mackie. I love the subtle use of them -- frankly you could probably do more in the "fields" of color and not just along the seams to add a bit more punch.

Stephanie said...

Allie, Love the sequins, but you know me--if it doesn't sparkle it isn't finished!