Saturday, May 5, 2007

Teach a Child to Ply a Needle!

When I was five years old, my Aunt Kitty taught me how to knit. I remember the experience vividly, because she was the one who opened the door for me........ for a love of fiber and needlework that has grown and grown for decades since, giving me untold satisfaction and joy.
So last month when I went to see my five year old niece, Qwen, I knew it was time to pay back the favor.
She was so excited to learn to sew! I started her out with a blunt needle, loosely woven wool in a hoop, and threads and beads to choose from. This child got down to business right away and concentrated.

What a good student she was!

She knew exactly what she wanted to do.....

I don't know who was more thrilled with the finished design, Qwen or me.
Give yourself a thrill, too, and teach a child to ply a needle!

10 comments :

atet said...

I think Qwen is going to be having a ton of fun playing with fibres. I know I started at 5 and haven't looked back.

colorbox said...

Every child I have taken the time to do this with has been mesmerized. Even rowdy little boys who are more inclined to the rough and tumble activities outdoors, will sit, and stitch for longer than seems possible. Sewing is definately a powerful thing. Very grounding.

Qwen's work is beautiful! That first picture of the two of you is beyond beautiful.

sharonb said...

I have to say the photo of both of you stitching is really touching - just wonderful

Possibilities, Etc. said...

She definitely has the genetic inheritance from Auntie Allie!! Good work. I would rather teach children, as they don't yet have programmed into the brainwires "eeeew I can't do it - that's too hard." (like me and electronic devices.) The picture is beautiful - she looks like you and her mother.

Marty52 said...

The photo of the two of you together is soooo perfect! The light really picks everything up... and I love the way her toes point in together in delight. I'm looking forward to teaching my granddaughter!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

P.S. I will post on my blog our Madeline's first effort at becoming a needlepoint designer like Granny. (12 years old). If I could find an adult who could do this well, I would hire help again and mass produce. I only explained it once - and she "got it" and did it. I wish a bit of needlework would silence 4-year old Jake, but, alas, needles are for poking one's little brother.

Debra Dixon said...

So adorable! These pictures are worth a thousand words!

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

I agree 110%! I love the photo of the two of you sitting outside stitching. This needs to be framed. Adorable and what a statement about you. Nothing I didn't already know of course. It takes patience and a lot of smiles to teach children. To me it seems second nature, but I have heard many times it is a gift. Every child needs to learn what a needle can do even if they never pick one up again. Great work Allie! I know how rewarding it feels, and pretty fun too.I love to hear stories of stitching and children,passing it on.

Susan said...

What a sweetheart. I love the pic of her concentrating. The one of the two of you together is priceless, too. Her piece shows definite artistic ability!

Granny Fran said...

Qwen is definitely a budding textile artist! Your family has great genes, you not only look alike, but you seem to have a lot of innate creative talent.